4WD Service Diagnostics

Submitted: Monday, Aug 14, 2006 at 23:20
ThreadID: 36781 Views:1677 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Any of you guys using an OBDII tool on the road ?
The old times of taking an engine apart and putting back together
on track are over I guess.. (done that with a VW buggy many times ..) but
todays cars just have so much electronics that you just can not do anything unless you have a bit help. All the great bush mechanics can not really do much either unless they have the gear for your car/truck ... European Cars, Asian, US and Australian Ford and I believe Holden (dont know for sure .. never was a Holden fan or owner) have implemented OBD and now OBD2 and CanOBDII hi speed lan in their cars ... so that gives us all the opportunity to diagnose problems with our 4WDs before they might become serious... and this is true for all parts of the vehicle not just the engine ...
So who is using a scantool and which one ?
regards
gmd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hl - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:28

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 08:28
Hi,

I carry a wire link and the list of codes..... not that you can do a lot on the road if there is a code displayed......

Cheers
AnswerID: 189072

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:37

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:37
In many cases this might be true depending on the code but it's also about
precausion or diagnostic help when you reach a workshop or making the
decision if you keep on driving or not ...
ABS lamp goes on .. do you keep driving ? or do you check your brake system
first ? nice to know which component raised the alarm .. especially when you tow ...
Finding a blocked brakeline without bleeding the whole system or even knowing that one brake doesn't get equal pressure ... etc ....
thanks for answering
gmd
FollowupID: 446450

Follow Up By: hl - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:51

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:51
Hi gmd,

Yes, it is nice to see some standardization, and who knows, one day we might be able to buy these things for a reasonable cost. For the time being, I will be watching the blinking light.....

Cheers
FollowupID: 446458

Follow Up By: _gmd_pps - Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:12

Tuesday, Aug 15, 2006 at 12:12
I think the tools are already pretty reasonable ...
for aroud US$ 300 you get a full diagnostic toolset with proprietary manufaturer codes readout and laptop graphics which would make many workshops envious.
a basic reader is just $50 or so ... pocket money really compared to the cost of our vehicles and the charges of the stealerships for basic service and code resets ..
anyway ... thanks
gmd
FollowupID: 446462

Sponsored Links